background

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

terra firma, agricola

I hope I remember those terms correctly. Latin class was a long time ago. I remember how excited I was, even as a teenager, to find that I had something in common with my Dad. We both took Latin as our languages in high school. I was impressed that my dad could still decline a verb and and knew much more Latin vocabulary than I knew. He was in the cotton business. He was a cotton gin manager. He worked with the farmers to help them finance growing their crops, and helped them manage their weed and bug control, before all of that became specialty fields of their own. Terra firma, the solid earth, and agricola, farm, are the words which I knew that my dad remembered from his Latin class. A week or so ago I had the great experience of working with my son, Thomas, to plant a garden. He took care of all the hard part. Tilling the weeds and making the beds with a rototiller and an old farm tractor. He also did a lot of hoeing by hand, and using a miniature blow torch to send stray weeds packing. I mostly did the fun stuff, planting the seeds and seedlings. When one plants a garden, one seems to enjoy watching and waiting until each little plant emerges from the soil to begin its journey toward bearing fruit. Of course you want to share the joy, so each in turn from my husband,through my children and down to my grandchildren have been dragged through the secret gate into my garden to watch this miracle of nature. They have all dutifully oohed and awed over the barely visible spec of green. Thank you all for appreciating not only the young plants, but the time and energy that went into them. Thank you Thomas for all you encouragement and labor . Yea,we have an agricola on the terra firma!

11 comments:

Merilee said...

very awesome. I can't wait to see the garden when I get there.

ducklips said...

I love your garden! Thank you for sharing it w/ us. I know my girls are always excited to go out w/ Nana B or Grampy and look at the garden.

With all the craziness in yours, and Tom's lives, I'm glad you have both found something that you enjoy doing. It's even better that it is together.

Emily said...

Yeah for garden! Go see my blog. Tabi wants all your money. Okay ... just a little bit.

Natalie said...

Thank you for letting to garden in your garden. It has been such a stress reliever for him. He really enjoys it. I can't wait to eat all the good stuff you and Tom planted.

megan said...

I love this post. I love getting to hear about your dad since I didn't get to meet him. Yours and Tom's garden is beautiful. you can tell how much hard work went into it.

jaust.me said...

I love your garden too, especially the fresh veggies. I just don't like dirt under my fingernails.

Meg, I'm so sorry that you didn't get to know Grandpa. He was such a kind grandpa. Loved to hold kids on his knee and almost always had certs in one pocket so that the kids wouldn't beg for the rolaids in his other pocket. He would have given you a big smacker!

bogle.chris@gmail.com said...

I would have loved to be there to help you with the garden. I'll help pick some weed in a coouple weeks.

jaust.me said...

It's not that kind of garden Chris! lol

Merilee said...

good one Mo!

Tomallama said...

Mom, it was such a joy to do that work. I know there is not much glory in manual labor, but it is such a stress reliever, great excercise and I love being able to enjoy the actual fruit of my labors. I will have to come out there and help do some weeding soon, especially if Chris is there working with us!

Emily said...

C'mon, slacker!